Sunday 16 January 2011

Church at White Chapel


Today was my first day at church. I was assigned to the White Chapel ward. The is almost the opposite of what the name implies. The majority of the wards are Africans, primarily from Nigeria and Ghana (Including out bishop).  We had to take the tube for about an hour to get to the building and walked in right as sacrament was starting.  The entire priesthood body that was blessing and passing the sacrament where straight-up Africans. It really took me back to my mission in New York where that was a part of life. It was ward conference so amidst the chaos I was not able to meet with the bishop and get a calling. I was super impressed about the conviction and devotion that the ward members had. One lady spoke about being less-active for 7 years because her husband didn’t like the church. She decided that she needed to start going and fasted for a whole week to gather the courage to tell him! She’s now back at church, Pretty awesome stuff. Afterwards the Stake President talked about how extraordinary the Stake was. The stake has 105 different nationalities and 75% of the members are first generation converts. Crazy right? Anyways I didn’t want to take pictures the first Sunday and look like a total goober.  I’ve been assigned to the ward along with 4 girls ( Elizabeth Bevan, Liv Ammons, Megan Bruner, and Lyse Cook) Group picture next week. These are some of my favorite girls and I lucked out to get put in there group. I’ll talk to you guys later.  Check back later this week on Tuesday was going to see the Broadway show “Wicked”.

No comments:

Post a Comment